The Finance Manager's position is central to any Finance Department. His or her functions and responsibilities can be wide-ranging from providing and interpreting financial information, monitoring cashflows, managing risks, to liaising with auditors, bankers, lawyers and other professionals and keeping abreast with financial standards, regulations and legislation.
Admittedly, not all Finance Managers have exposure to all these functions and so there are still knowledge and skill gaps to fill, urgently, because such knowledge and skills may be required at a moment’s notice.
This course is designed to fill these gaps and enable the Finance Manager to function confidently and even deliver performance beyond expectations. It also serves as a refresher course for some.
Objectives of the Course
At the end of the course, the participant will be able to:
1) Fully appreciate the role and responsibilities of the Finance Manager
2) Articulate the accounting framework
3) Enhance financial reporting format and be conversant with the financial reporting regime
4) Manage working capital effectively
5) Prepare and analyse group consolidation of accounts
6) Produce cashflow statement and analyse the flows
7) Perform financial statement analysis and interpretation
8) Understand budgeting and forecasting methods and processes and the LRM model
9) Prepare and present Management and Board papers
10) Design financial models and perform sensitivity analysis
11) Understand selected IFRSs
12) Perform investment appraisal
13) Understand business valuation methods and applications
14) Perform due diligence and M&A exercises
15) Perform corporate funding exercises
16) Prepare business plans
17) Understand and apply “Financial Limits to Growth” model
At each session, participants are encouraged to share their work experiences, issues and challenges, relating to the topic in discussion, and in the process, seek advice, coaching and resolution.
Who should attend?
1) Newly-appointed Finance Managers
2) Finance Managers who want to widen their scope of knowledge and skill sets
4) Finance Managers who seek a refresher course
5) Heads of Finance Department
6) Finance Manager aspirants
7) Finance Managers who want to fill knowledge and experience gaps.
8) Relationship Managers (banks)
This course will be conducted in an environment conducive to learning where lecturer and participant sharing of practical examples/illustrations, and coaching will be applied to reinforce learning.
Principal Trainer Profile
Michael Matthew Lee is a trainer teacher, lecturer, coach and facilitator, and is himself a life-long learner. Being trained, he is skilful in explaining difficult concepts in a simple and understandable manner. With his more than 40 years of corporate working experience, which include serving as Group CFO of 3 Main Board public-listed groups, and as MD/CEO/COO of various companies across industries, he specialises in Finance and is exposed to senior executive management practices, issues and challenges. He adopts a practical approach to his training and facilitation.
Michael Matthew Lee’s credentials are:
MBA (Finance, NUS Business School)
MBA (Strategic Marketing, University of Hull)
BAcc (NUS); DipM (UK);; PDipM (APAC); ACTA; PMC
FCA(Singapore); FCPA(Aust); FCCA(UK); FCIM(UK); MSID.
"Michael injected his experiences into the topics, making the learning more useful for us as there is good linkage to what it means to the business and the everyday work that we handle. A useful and practical course that is not the a-typical classroom learning."
Thanks & regards
Lim Hui Hui
“Michael is a very experienced and knowledgeable trainer with a breadth of practical experience. In particular, I have found the “Financial limits to Growth” module extremely useful.
He has also made lessons very interesting in an otherwise normally dry topic (i.e. accounting) and I would strongly recommend the course to candidates involved in the areas of credit risk management or corporate banking as the reinforcement of accounting and finance concepts is very useful…”
Institutional Banking Group
Conglomerates & Asian Corporates
DBS Asia Central
||The role of the Finance Manager
||The Accounting Framework
||Corporate Reporting Regime
||Working capital management
||Group Consolidation of Accounts
||Financial Statement Analysis and Interpretation
||Budgetting & forecasting
||Management and Board papers preparation & presentation
||Mergers & acquisitions / Due diligence
||Financial limits to growth (FLTG)